LOSSES ARE THEATRE GROUP'S WORRY

The Mail

By Pvt. IRVING Yoskowitz

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

J. Anthony Lukas' article, "Harvard Theatre Puritans in Greasepaint" is generally admirable. If it were not so dismayingly inaccurate about the Harvard Theatre Group's production of "The General" I would cry hurrah! ! For the information and peace of mind of our successors let the record be set straight:

1) "'Competition,' concluded Stone, "is a sane and healthy idea'

"A year and a half later, in the spring of 1953, the HTG was to change its tune."

On the contrary, wisely or foolishly, HTG tootled on. In the spring of 1953 it still believed competition a sane and healthy idea, undertaking its most ambitious production, "The General," without the assistance of and in competition with all other Harvard organizations.

2) "The General" . . . lost $3,000 (. . . . the check was picked up by a New York stage manager) . . ."

"The General" did not lose $3,000. How much it lost or made is no one's business but the Theatre Group's. The New York stage manager mentioned is imaginary. Mr. Lukas' estimate of $3,000 is at least 600 percent off the mark on either side of the ledger.

3) The HTG's production of "The General" was far from disastrous. It intimidated or inspired its audiences; challenged and satisfied the actors and production staff; and therefore was a success. Let the CRIMSON reread its own review of the play.

I deplore Mr. Lukas' inaccuracies and submit the above corrections on behalf of the new scattered graduates of the HTG. We want Harvard's present theatre people, to whom all good luck, to know how things really were.