HYRC's Stephen Hits Out at HLU For Choice Delay

Although a week has passed since the Liberal Union announced it would negotiate for a joint meeting with the Young Republican Club to hear opposing candidates and make endorsements, it has not yet actually contacted the HYRC.

"This points out how ineffective a political organization can be when, three weeks before the election, it does not know what candidates it is going to support," John W. Stephens '55, Young Republican president, said.

Stephens explained that his own group would derive absolutely no benefit from the HLU's proposed meeting even if the latter group were to request it. "There is no doubt in our minds about who are the best candidates," Stephens said.

The HLU's original announcement was motivated by dissension over endorsing Foster Furcolo, Democratic candidate for senator in Massachusetts. Furcolo has criticized Americans for Democratic Action, HLU's parent organization.

Liberal Union efforts were to be directed toward a combined meeting with the Democratic and the Republican Club where opposing candidates could be heard.

Democrats turned down the proposal last Tuesday. At that time, HLU members commented, "The HYRC won't cooperate with us and speculation on a combined meeting is purely academic."