Mason Seeks Replacement For Jackson's Godkin Talks

The death of Supreme Court Justice Robert H. Jackson has left the University without a Godkin lecturer, but Edwin S. Mason, Dean of the Graduate School of Public Administration, said yesterday that "we will definitely try to find someone to give the lectures."

Justice Jackson, who was announced as the 1955 lecturer shortly after Adial Stevenson concluded the series last spring, died suddenly Saturday morning. The cause of his death was announced as an attack of thrombosis.

"We have no particular individual in mind yet," Mason said, "but I do think we'll get somebody to replace Justice Jackson." Decision on invitations will probably be made within three weeks, at a regular meeting of the faculty of the School of Public Administration, which, with the dean, annually selects the lecturer.

There have been other years when no Godkin lectures were given, and it is not compulsory that they be presented every year. If they are not given this year, the Godkin chair will be the second visiting lectureship unfilled this year. Last week it was announced that the Charles Eliot Norton lectures on poetry would not be given.

Usually, the lectures are given in January, but "there is no specified time," Mason said. "They can be given as late as April." Last year Stevenson delivered his in late March.

Stevenson lectured to overflow crowds at Sanders Theater, on "A Troubled World." Previous lecturers have included Senator Paul Douglas (D-Ill.) ex-German high commissioners Lucius D. Clay, and John J. McCloy.