Russians Claim Pusey Joins With McCarthy To Destroy Education

President Pusey and Senator McCarthy are cooperating to destroy scientific and educational institutions--or so say the Russians.

Former President Eliot "put University education immediately at the service of Capitalism," and Pusey is trying to return science "to its medieval position of servant to the Church," so that the financial monopolies may remain in control. So say the Russians.

In its October 9 issue the Alumni Bulletin presents a Russian Research Center translation of one David Zaslavsky's treatise on "Obscurantists of Harvard University." Zaslavsky concludes that:

"The president of the oldest (American) university, Nathan Pusey, stands at the right hand of Senator McCarthy and calls on the benediction of God for the barbaric destruction of scientific and educational institutions."

Muscovite Zaslovsky apparently interprets Pusey's stand on religion as the subjection of all science to the Church.

"Thus we see in what direction and how far the American universities with Harvard at their head have gone. They have gone back to the Middle Ages."

He asserts that the modern American youth under the McCarthy influence is forced to substitute theology for scientific knowledge. "This," he states, "is the last and most extreme method to which the defenders of a bankrupt social order turn."

The Associated Press first carried excerpts of Zaslovsky's text last May under a Moscow dateline. The Alumni Bulletin procured the entire article and had it translated by Leopold H. Haimson of the Russian Research Center.