Crimson Eleven Takes Final Drills

It was only 22 hours before the opening of the 1954 varsity football season, and if the squad didn't get ready for it in its first month of practice, then there was nothing it could do about it in yesterday's one-hour dress rehearsal.

But as the group went through its daily calisthenics led by Captain Tim Anderson, there was reason to think that it was ready. The varsity hasn't opened a season out of condition since Coach Lloyd Jordan and his competent group of assistants took over in 1950.

After the push-ups and other exercises, the squad split up into groups of specialists for individual work. While the punters worked on one side of the field, the passers pitched to ends like Phil Estabrooks. And Joe Ross practiced the all-important extra point with Jerry Marsh holding.

Signal Drills Follow

After the practice of specialties, the various elevens moved up and down the field in signal drills. The first backfield was without a Clasby or Culver, but continued to show improvement.

With hard blocking Marsh making the holes, wingback Bob Cowles, fullback Tony Gianelly, and tailback Joe Conzelman all took turns carrying the ball. Cowles, a brilliant defensive back and pass catcher, is likely to stay in most of the game at either the wingback or fullback positions. Marsh may be spelled by Conzelman or sophomore Phil Haughey, while Jim Joslin could get into the game early at tailback.