Student Council's Fund Drive Tops Previous Records

The Student Council fund drive has topped all previous records, Newell B. Mack '56, treasurer, reported last night.

Approximately $5,200 has been paid in cash and checks to the Council in the past two weeks. Another $1300 was pledged at registration.

The previous record of $5,907 was achieved in 1952. According to Mack, cash already turned in exceeds the total donations of most years. In 1950, $3,252 was given; in 1951 the Council received $5,059, and last year, $4,740.

Calling this year's total of $6,500 a "distinct record," Mack attributed the gain to student generosity resulting from a "more active year on the part of the Council and excellent publicity."

Scholarship Program Helped

The extra funds will probably be used to provide additional support to the new German Exchange Student program, begun this year and to increase funds in the Council's undergraduate scholarship program, which will be administered this year for the first time by the Financial Aid Center. Some also will be given to two Council committees, one on religion at the University, another on the freshman year. The remainder will be placed in the bank for emergencies.

Pledges will be collected in the next ten days. The Council will send out a form letter in the next few days, followed by individual solicitation.