Ruggers Defeat Big Green, 11-0

The Crimson rugby team defeated Dartmouth, 11 to 0, in its opening game last Saturday. All the scoring came early in the second half.

After freshman Al Rellie scored the first touch at five minutes in the second half on a sparkling play, Bill Simpson, grad student and assistant coach of the Jayvee football team, converted, to make the score 5 to 0.

Three minutes later, the Green was penalized and Simpson made the kick for three more points. With Dartmouth unable to move the ball, scrum leader Jorge Hardoy went over in a flying wedge play, Simpson missing the conversion.

Dartmouth tightened its defenses in the last 15 minutes, nearly scoring twice. They carried to within three feet of the line twice, but the hard-tackling Crimson team held them. The Crimson was able to kick out of danger both times, and prevented the desperate Green from scoring.

The team plays M.I.T. next Saturday, Princeton on Nov. 6, and the N.Y. Rugby club on Nov 13. They are also trying to arrange a game with McGill University sometime later this fall.

Rugby is the only team sport in the University open to both graduate and undergraduate students. The game is played in both fall and spring.