Each House May Obtain Seat on Class Committee

By William W. Bartley iii

Each House will be assured representation on the Permanent Class and Class Day Committees if the Student Council tonight passes proposed election revisions. The changes are aimed at preventing further unbalanced elections similar to those in recent years.

The two spring elections may also be combined into one "to improve the makeup of the Class Day Committee," according to Clifford L. Alexander, Jr. '55, president of the Council.

These revisions, recommended by John W. Stokes '54, a member of last year's Permanent Class Committee, seem sure to be passed, according to Council members.

Last year, six out of the 12 members elected to the permanent committee were from Winthrop House. Five out of 11 elected to the Class Day Committee were from Leverett. On the other hand, no Kirkland House man was elected to the permanent committee and no one from Eliot to the Class Day Committee. Dudley and Dunster were represented on neither of the groups.

In its deliberations, the Council will finally be brought face to face with the Dudley Hall question. In deciding whether or not to assure each House a representative it will have to determine the status of the commuter center.

Dudley has been agitating for years for full recognition as a House. At the same time, it has rarely been represented on either of the class committees. Should it be assured committee membership, it would, in effect, be accorded by the Council recognition as a House.

This assurance seems likely. Dudley has already been granted a place on the Student Council itself.

Highest Twelve

According to the proposed plan for a combined election, each candidate for the permanent committee will have to state on his ballot whether or not he would be willing to accept election to the Class Day Committee if he were to lose the more important permanent committee election. The highest 12 would then become members of the Permanent Class Committee. The ten candidates polling the next highest number of votes would be members of the Class Day Committee.

Traditionally, the permanent committee is the official governing body after graduation, responsible for all reunions. The Class Day Committee's duty lies with the end of graduation week, which it plans and arranges.

Only 17 Nominated

In the past, record numbers of candidates have turned out for the permanent committee elections, while barely enough men to fill the positions have run for the less glorious Class Day Committee. Last year only 17 ran for the ten man group. Eleven of these were from Leverett--the smallest House. Over 90 per cent of Leverett House men cast ballots, while a record low voted in the other Houses.

The new plan would guarantee a wide choice for the Class Day Committee.