Light Drills Mark Varsity Practice; Cochran Bumped

An unusually light drill marked the varsity football team's last Soldiers Field workout before leaving for Ithaca.

Perhaps because the train ride to Cornell will be tiring enough itself, Coach Lloyd Jordan contented himself and the 36 varsity players by trying passing and running series, but reserving blocking and tackling work.

Tailbacks Matt Botsford and Joe Conzelman spent most of the afternoon throwing from the deep position, while Tony Glanelly and Dick Cohmler worked out at fullback.

Senior wingback Bob Cowles, jarred in the Massachusetts opener, was called ready to go and ran most of the afternoon. Another wingback, Dexter Lewis, who missed the Massachusetts game, also turned in a complete session.

At the same time, it was learned that senior end Bob Cochran had an ailing shoulder and might not be able to play against the Big Red. John Maher appeared likely to start at tackle in place of the injured Dick Koch.

The varsity again worked out in white jerseys in preparation for facing a similarly red-garbed opponent.