Local, College Police Unite in Drive Against Student Parking Violations

Cambridge and University police forces yesterday announced simultaneous all-out campaigns against parking violators in the Harvard area.

University Police Captain Matthew H. Toohey also warned that students would be liable to a fine of $10 for not registering their automobiles by today or for not displaying the registration sticker by Monday.

University police further warned of a new ruling. All undergraduates upon collecting five tickets will be asked to report to either Dean Watson or Dean Von Stade.

Acting Cambridge Chief Patrick J. McCarthy reported yesterday that his force's crackdown has led to the ticketing of almost 200 cars daily. His action comes as the result of complaints by Square merchants, who claim that illegal overnight parking is depriving customers of space.

Naming Plympton, Dunster, and Holyoke Sts. as the main trouble areas, McCarthy stated his department had hardly even handed out over 100 tickets in a day until this crackdown.

Near the Houses, University police are ticketing all automobiles parked on the left hand side of one-way streets. Local rulings permit only right hand side parking, and the Cambridge fire department has complained that it cannot get its trucks down the one-way streets.

Mill St., between Lowell and Winthrop, has been particularly hard hit with a rash of tickets. Last year there was considerable agitation when fire trucks could not enter Mill St., to fight a blaze in Winthrop House.

The fine for second offense parking violation is $1.

In an attempt to produce greater reaction among students in acknowledging tagging, University police have changed the wording on tickets to read "Tickets must be presented within three days. . ." instead of the old "Tickets should be presented . . ."