Faculty Members Look For Democratic Sweep

Expect Slight Margin Of Senate Control For Democrats

By John J. Iselin

Members of the History, Government and Economics departments almost unanimously predict a Democratic victory in the Congressional elections tomorrow. In the local elections, they predict victory for Republicans Saltonstall and Herter.

Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, quoted odds that almost every professor interviewed seemed to agree with: 20 to 1 that the Democrats gain control of the House and 5 to 4 that they win the Senate.

"I expect the Democrats to gain in the House by 20 or 30 seats, and in the Senate by a much narrower margin," Robert G. McCloskey, associate professor of Government stated yesterday. Arthur A. Maass, assistant professor of Government, also conceded Democratic control of the House, but called the senatorial outcome "a toss-up." Most professors expected all election breaks to favor the Democrats.

No Great Change

Holcombe said he had fixed his odds in September and has seen little reason for changing them. "Eisenhower's talkathon will help bring out the vote," he concluded yesterday, "but it will not effect any great change. The Democrats have not lost ground."

He was challenged by several men who felt the Republicans had lately made signicant headway against early Democratic popularity.

But professors felt Democratic campaigning on unemployment and the so-called "big giveaway" has opened up a substantial lead over Republicans. They called the Dixon-Yeates controversy the only national issue. Most voting, they pointed out, will be done on local and sectional issues.

"Back to the Businessman"

Even if the Democrats win, "there will be no great overturn of government," Arthur E. Sutherland, professor of Law, concluded.

"Eisenhower's campaign line is not valid," McCloskey agreed. "A Democratic Congress will not affect the working arrangement with him at all." He called the public vs. private power dispute the only major divergence between the two parties.

Registered Republican Charles R. Cherington '35, professor of Government, however, considered the Republican stand for private power serious enough to make him vote partially Democratic. He said he would follow the trend against the Eisenhower administration because it "apparently wants to give the country back to the businessman."

At the same time, Cherington said he would support Republican Leverett Saltonstall '14 for the Massachusetts Senate seat over Foster Furcolo, because Furcolo's attack on the liberal ADA had been "disgusting." All professors, except Samuel H. Beer, professor of Government, thought Saltonstall would win in a very close election.

All men polled expected Republican Christian Herter '15 to easily top Democrat Robert Murphy for the Massachusetts governorship.