University Model for Turkish Busy School

Turkey will open its first business school next year, patterned after Harvard's. Six of the seven men who will run it are now gaining experience across the Charles.

One of these is an American: Robert E. Stone, former Dean of the College of Business Administration at Syracuse University, who retired earlier this year to become the new school's co-director. Omer Celal Sarc, Dean of the Faculty of Economics at the University of Istanbul and now a visiting professor at Columbia, will be the other director.

George A. Smith, professor of Business Administration here is the group's faculty director while it is in Cambridge.

Translate Books

After their year here, the scholars will return to Istanbul, Turkey, where they will translate cases and texts and put the Harvard system into effect. The name of the school will be the Institute of Business Administration.

A Ford Foundation grant, made Aug. 20, is supporting the venture, initiated three years ago through the efforts of Turkish businessmen and the government itself.

The new Institute will be affiliated with the faculty of Economics at the University of Istanbul. The state operates this school, the Technical University of Istanbul, and the University of Ankara.

The Turks are studying not only the Business School's courses, but the School itself. They are learning the case method of instruction, report writing, and the library system, and are attempting to formulate a curriculum based on Harvard's, but applicable to Turkish economy.

Every Tuesday the group meets informally with their Business School advisor and hears guest speakers.

In addition to their study here, the Turks will visit business schools at Columbia, Syracuse and other American universities before returning home.