Bicks Revives International Affairs Group

Plans to Describe American Education on Foreign Radio

By William W. Bartley iii

The international Activities Committee--deal now for over a year--will be revived this fall, David P. Bicks '55, vice-president of the Student Council, announced last night.

The Committee, which originated the German Exchange Student Program here and published the widely circulated International Student Information Service Bulletin until last year, was abandoned when the State Department withdrew founds for the Exchange program and when the National Student Association moved the Bulletin offices to the Nether-lands.

Now Bicks plans to revive it to fill "a crying need for dissemination of factual information on higher education in the U.S. throughout the world."

As one such project, he will try to initiate negotiations with Radio for Europe to provide a series of programs on America Education beamed to countries behind the Iron Curtain. Bicks also expects to publish fact sheets similar to these distributed last year on segregation by the N.S.A. Such sheets would deal with topics like "The Economic Status of the American Student."

According to Bicks, a topic like this would show Europeans that education in America is not--as some Soviet propaganda has claimed--a privilege for the capitalistic rich alone.

Permanent Program

Bicks also will propose an effort to revive the German Exchange program on a permanent basis. Started in 1951 with one student, the Exchange project was expanded in 1952, by means of a special trail run grant from the State Department, to bring over six students. In 1953, because of the lapse of the grant, no German student came here on such a program.

This fall, by means of a grant from the Combined Charities Drive of last year, one student, Gunther Rischer, of Dunster House, has been brought here. Bicks would prefer to make this a permanent venture, not relying on Combined Charities funds for it. The new committee might also begin a program of information exchange between United States and European universities and student councils.