Late Touchdown Gives Brown 21-21 Tie; Oehmler, Cochran Stand Out on Defense

By Jack Rosevthal

Two moral victories were recorded Saturday at Soldiers Field. The varsity football team held vaunted Brown to a surprising 21 to 21 tie. The Department of Athletics limited a crowd of 21,000 to a minimum of obvious violations of the new liquor law.

But throats which were involuntarily dry because of the latter became quite willingly hoarse because of the former. Although two key Crimson players missed much of the game and Brown was favored by as much as 12 points, the varsity once led by as many as 14 points, and only in the last two minutes did a very strong Bruin team tie it up.

Both guard Bill Meigs, sometimes unsung, but never outplayed, and sophomore fullback Tony Gianelly left the game early, with minor injuries. Meigs favored a bad shoulder, while Gianelly had a bruised hip. And although Coach Lloyd Jordan has frequently maintained: "We play them one at a time," it appears his thoughts were of next week, and, like the drinking laws, were shaded with Blue.

Title Chance Lost

Because of Saturday's deadlock, the Crimson lost its slim chance for the Ivy league title. Princeton's win over Yale, however, left Harvard with a crack at its first undisputed Big Three championship since 1941.

While the presence of Meigs and Gianelly might have made the difference then, against Brown, they will be all the more essential against Yale. Both should be back soon, for Jordan said after the game that Gianelly should return Tuesday and that Meigs played only briefly, to test his shoulder, injured against Princeton.

Meanwhile, two other players returned to the lineup in encouraging manner. Matt Botsford, recovering from an arm injury, carried d18 times for a 4.5 average and two touchdowns. He boosted his total for the game to 192 yards with seven of 11 pass completions.

Jim Joslin also returned to the tailback position, showing no ill effects from the severe charley-horse he suffered last week. He carried seven times for 39 yards and a 5.5 average.

Obscured, perhaps, by the statistical foliage were standout performances by three other varsity players. Dick Oehmler, 160 pound junior, who took-over for Gianelly, played a standout defensive game, and ends Bob Morrison and Bob Cochran looked particularly good both ways.

Despite such solid Crimson performance, three Brown backs were the individual standouts. Halfback Ev Pearson broke through the varsity line on the second play of the game, and sprinted 74 yards before he was caught on the Crimson 19 by Cochran. Pearson, though, averaged 17.5 for the game, which topped even the performance of fellow back Dave Zucconi, who carried seven times for 74 yards and a 10.5 average.

Bruins Ton Statistics

Brown's real here was quarterback Pete Kohut. With only three minutes left in the game, he completed three passes, including one to Pete Bartuska, good for 24 yards to the Crimson four. Then, with less than two minutes left, he handed off to Zucconi, who plunged through the left side for the third Brown touchdown, and Pearson converted the all-important extra point.

Nevertheless, it was Harvard which got and took the scoring breaks. Pearson fumbled on the play following his breakaway run, and Crimson end Joe Ross recovered on the varsity's 24. Eight plays and 76 yards later, Bob Cowles crossed the goal line on a reverse-and-cut-inside-end. Ross made the first of his three extra points.

Bostford Scores Twice

The Bruins quickly retaliated, this time grabbing a Crimson fumble and evened the count in four plays, with Pearson carrying across and Vin Jazwinski converting.

Botsford scored the second Harvard touchdown, just before the half, after helping to set it up with a 22 yard running pass to Jerry Marsh. He scored again at 6:37 of the third period, passing twice and running twice before going over from the three.

Four minutes later, Don (Zipper) Thompson capped a 77-yard Bruin drive by smacking through guard for 11 yards and the second Brown touchdown.

The aroused Bruins took over almost completely in the fourth period, and the varsity was in possession of the ball for only eight plays. Brown failed on its first march, which covered 74 yards in 15 plays, but then pounded over on 11 more plays with Kohut completing his passes.CRIMSONJACK G. SCHAVERA swarm of Brown players closes in on tailback MATT BOTSFORD, who returned to the Crimson lineup Saturday after missing the Princeton game with an arm injury. He scored two touchdowns, carried the ball 18 times for an average gain of 4.5 yards, and completed seven out of 11 passes.