Rain, 'No Liquor' Ban Keep Crowds Subdued Following Football Victory

3,500 Drinks to the Contrary

"I heard only one 'Boola Boola' all night," the Eliot House night watchman commented yesterday. "This was the finest Yale game crowd I've ever seen," Winthrop's assistant superintendent added.

These observations summed up the past two days in Cambridge.

Except for two hours of Saturday football, the undergraduate and his date, constantly threatened by rain, spent the weekend indoors. A concession stand burned beneath the Stadium at 10 a.m. Saturday morning and 20 feet of concrete railing fell off Weeks Bridge at 11 p.m. that night --possibly Yale's departing token of dejection--but few were around to see these events.

Bob Cochran's great catch and Jim Cronin's 3,500 drinks to the contrary, the past weekend never became wild as some had hoped. House dances turned away people most of the evening, but all was orderly and controlled.

Upset Car Owners

After the game, probably most upset were the 15 car owners whose automobiles had been towed away for obstructing traffic in front of the Lampoon Building.

Both Jim Cronin, owner of Jim's Place, and three House superintendents felt the "no-liquor" ban in the Stadium had subdued the crowd. "It probably kept everyone mildly sober, at least until we could serve them," Cronin said.

"It was everso quiet, very, very quiet," Sergeant Fitzgerald of the University Police commented about the weekend.