Dunlop Announces 3-Year Study Of Labor, Management Relations

University faculty members will prepare the first definitive study of labor history since before World War I, John T. Dunlop, professor of Economics and director of the project, announced yesterday.

The study, which will take approximately three years, will cover the period from the New Deal to the present.

It will not only deal with labor and management as separate groups, but will encompass the interaction between the two.

Labor unions, employer groups, and private foundations have made available the funds for the project. Emil Rieve, chairman of the Philip Murray Memorial Foundation, announced a $35,000 donation in a letter to President Pusey. Rieve said he believed a scholarly appraisal could make "a genuine contribution toward the understanding of current labor-management relations and provide valuable historical perspective on a number of issues of public policy."

Pusey told Rieve that one index of the changes effected in the last 25 years was the fact that a foundation had been established to honor a labor leader, and that it would make a grant for a scholarly undertaking in a university.