Lubell Brothers Pass Bar Exam, Do Not Apply for New York Bar

Jonathan and David Lubell LL.B. '54, who invoked the Fifth Amendment in response to questions about alleged Communist activities have passed their New York Bar examinations but have made no attempt at admission to the New York State Bar Association.

The Lubell twins, who were accused of belonging to a Communist cell at Cornell's School of Industrial and Labor Relations by Senator Jenner's Internal Security Subcommittee in 1953, are currently unemployed in New York City.

The Lubells passed the July set of exams. For admission to the State Bar Association, however, they must also gain the approval of the Character Committee.

Their chances of such approval seem doomed to failure because of the American Bar Association's policy to deny admission to applicants who have invoked the Fifth Amendment with regard to alleged Communist activities.

Nevertheless, David Lubell yesterday expressed the hope of entering the Bar.

"We're not certain when we'll apply," he said, "and we don't expect it to be easy. But we have hopes. There are some people who will help us."

Lubell refused to answer questions about his own and his brother's success in finding jobs since graduation. Both Lubells received their law degrees magna cum laude.

"We're doing nothing right now," he said. He would not say whether they had applied for any jobs.

The Character Committee of the New York Bar judges applicants upon references and past records to determine whether they will be creditable members of the Association.

The Lubells appeared before Jennor in March 1953, while they were second year students at the Law School. Last spring, a Cornell classmate charged both were members of a Communist cell at Ithaca.

After their appearance before Jenner both Lubells were forced to resign from the Law School Record, the School's weekly newspaper.

In September 1953 Jonathan Lubell was not invited to join the Law Review, the School's highest honor society, although his grades warranted acceptance.