Bender Recovering in Stillman; Cause of His Injury Uncertain

Doctors have moved Charles W. Bender '57, who suffered a deep gash in his chest last Saturday, from Massachusetts General Hospital to Stillman Infirmary. University officials reported the would to be the result of an accident.

Yesterday Bender said that he did not wish to comment on how he was injured or on what sort of instrument out him. His roommate, William P. Hilliker '57, who was in their room with Bender at the time of the accident, said that he had no idea how it happened. "I had too much to drink at the game and I don't recall anything that happened Saturday evening. I came to my room at 6:30 and I don't remember anything until I was taken to Stillman after midnight," he stated.

May Be Out Sunday

A bubble in Bender's right lung has kept him hospitalized since Saturday. Doctors at first believed the wound a serious one, but they now hope to release Bender this weekend.

"It all depends on whether the lung takes care of itself. The wound hasn't hurt me since Sunday, but it keeps my lung from expanding when I breathe," explained Bender, who holds a National Scholarship.

"The doctors told me I was pretty lucky. The cut is on the right side of my chest and they said it's in the one place where it can't really do too much damage," he added. No one has found the instrument which inflicted the oval half inch gash.