Democratic Control of Senate Probable As Oregon Count Gives Neuberger Lead

Professors Enthusiastic Over Late Hour Election Returns; Predict Bi-Partisan Policies

University professors surveyed the mid-term election outcome with satisfaction and optimism as the final voting returns came in last night.

"The election turned out much as we expected," Arthur A. Sutherland, professor of Law, stated, summing up the feelings of most professors contacted. Prior to the election, faculty members had predicted a Democratic House and a narrow victory for Democrats in the Senate.

The professors also predicted a constructive, working foreign policy for the next two years.

"People can look to the next two years reassured about our foreign policy," Arthur N. Holcombe '06, Eaton Professor of the Science of Government, stated. "I'm glad that Ike, in his press conference, recalled his prediction of a cold war if the Democrats should win, and said he would co-operate. Improved bipartisan-ship is now possible."

Arthur A. Maass, professor of Government, also pointed out that Eisenhower can no longer afford to ignore two-party co-operation on foreign policy. And Daniel S. Cheever '39, lecturer in Government, thought that "Ike may be able to get along better with the Democrats than with the Republicans."

Democratic Investigations?

At home, some of those contacted expected the Democrats to take up Republican investigative methods and delve into government policies on public vs. private power. Maass pointed out that Senator Estes Kefauver may be provided with another springboard to public attention by heading a committee investigation of the Dixon-Yates affair and the Securities Exchange Commission.

Cheever thought that the proposed Bricker Amendment with its restrictions on executive agreements would be buried. Sutherland explained the nature of the elections points to no great domestic change.

"There were no real national issues in the election," Sutherland continued. "There were an abundance of phony issues. But despite all the yelling, the voting was on the people involved. The election showed the people can't be fooled; they can vote sensibly and accept the outcome good-humoredly."

Maass echoed him that the returns had no great national significance, although he felt that the Democratic gain in the House indicated a dissatisfaction in widely scattered areas with the Republican domestic policies.