Professors Praise Choice Of Harlan to High Court

Yesterday's selection by President Eisenhower of John Marshall Harlan to the Supreme Court drew unanimous praise from members of the Law School faculty.

Harlan, a Republican now serving as a U.S. Circuit Court judge, will, if approved by the Senate, fill the vacancy caused by the death of Democrat Robert H. Jackson.

The appointment was predicted yesterday by Paul A. Freund, Charles Stebbins Fairchild Professor of International Law, who said, "If I were making a bet, I'd place it on Harlan." Last night, he added that "a prophet is always glad to be vindicated. It has every promise of turning out to be an excellent selection. Judge Harlan is very well regarded by both the bar and judges in New York."

Harlan has been serving on the Circuit Court of Appeals covering Vermont, Connecticut, and New York since March.

The judge is a grandson and namesake of Justice John Marshall Harlan who served on the Supreme Court from 1877 to 1911. Both bear the name of John Marshall, famous chief justice.

"He's certainly got good blood," Zechariah Chafee, Jr., University Professor, said. "I'd say a very good choice."

Geography Only Part

While Harlan is from New York, the professors felt that geography was not the only consideration in the selection. Ernest J. Brown, professor of Law, commented that "he is certainly a man of substantial ability," and added that Eisenhower had emphasized the desirability of appointing a man with judicial experience.

Dean of the Law School Erwin N. Griswold also expressed satisfaction at the nomination. "I'm glad to say it is an excellent choice. Judge Harlan is extremely well-qualified for the position."

"I have no kick," said Mark DeWolfe Howe, professor of Law. "The selection was better than I expected. I think it's a very good appointment."

Harlan, 55, holds a degree in jurisprudence from Oxford University and a law degree from the New York Law School. He is a graduate of Princeton.

The White House said Eisenhower would send Harlan's nomination to the Senate tomorrow, along with that of Joseph Campbell, now a member of the Atomic Energy Commission, to be comptroller general.

Should Harlan be confirmed, he will get a pay raise along with the prestige of membership on the highest court. His salary now is $17,500; it would jump to $25,000.