TENSE AND TEMPEST

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

What was said inside Sanders Theater on Friday evening is vastly more important than anything that happened outside; accordingly your excellent account of the lecture itself is more notable than any weakness in your report on the verflow crowd. Nevertheless, I offer one correction to this report, on the ground that it is not wholly fair to those who were unable to got in.

You quote me as shouting, "You people have just succeeded in ruining this lecture for everyobody else," and your account suggests that this sweet sentiment "checked" the "throng." I submit that (a) I didn't say it (b) it wasn't true, and (c) no self-respecting throng would have been checked by such a shout. What I did say, among other things, was that if the noise should continue, it would ruin the lecture for others; it is only a difference in tense, but it substantially affects the meaning. The reasons was prompt and cooperative, and all of us who heard Mr. Toynbeo's lecture are in debt to those who accepted their disappointment and left quietly. McGeorge Bundy,   Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.