Faculty to Help Make Advanced Placement Tests

Seven University faculty members and instructors will help devise exams to be given to high school students applying for advanced placement at colleges.

They will serve on committees drawing up Spanish, Physics, Latin, English Literature, Biology, German, and English composition tests.

The seven men are: Karl Strauch, assistant professor of Physics; Philip Levine, instructor in Classics; Albert B. Friedman, instructor in English Franslo M. Carpenter, professor of Entomology; Harlan P. Hanson, Director of Advanced Standing; and Harold C. Martin, Director of General Education Ahf. An instructor in Spanish will complete the group.

These examinations will be used by students applying from the 40 schools in the Kenyon group. This group of secondary schools gives advanced level courses to its unusually able students. If the students pass these spring placement tests they gain admission to upper level courses in the participating colleges.

While the College is not a member of the program it has taken a great interest in its development since it will become a part of the similar College Entrance Board program on Advanced Standing in the fall of 1956.

The College Entrance Board is also sending representatives to these meetings. "The fact seems to indicate that it might adopt features of these tests," Hanson said.