ROTC to Retain Dupuy By University's Request

Reassignment Causes Optimism Regarding Program Revision

By Bernard M. Gwertzman

At the request of the University, Lt. Colonel Trevor N. Dupuy, professor of Military Science and Tactics, has been reassigned to the College for the school year 1955-'56, it was learned yesterday.

Under the Army's three-year rotation system, Dupuy, who first came to Harvard in 1952, would leave his post in June. Since he was a leader, however, in drawing up the Harvard ROTC revision plan, now under discussion in Washington, Dean Bundy asked the Army for Dupuy's extension.

If the plan is approved by the Army, Dupuy would be a key figure in the administration of the new program. He was the only military representative on the subcommittee which drew up the plan last spring.

Washington has not yet come to a decision on the plan, but Dupuy's reappointment seems an optimistic sign for the University. It definitely shows that the Army has not rejected the Harvard plan, and is moreover seriously considering its acceptance.

It is believed that if the Army saw no future in the plan, Dupuy would have received another assignment. He is the 14th man to head the ROTC unit here.

Plan Reduces Class Work

Dupuy yesterday denied his has nothing to do with the approval or disapproval of the ROTC plan," he said. "We still do not know what action the Army will take."

Harvard's revision plan would reduce ROTC classroom work from four years to three, and would increase the summer camp training period from six weeks to 12 weeks. In this way, the more technical information could be learned in camp, and the classroom could be learned in camp, and the classroom could be devoted to more theoretical teaching.

After the Faculty approved the plan last spring, President Pusey forwarded it to the Department of the Army.