Varsity Third Line Could Provide Margin Against B.U. Sextet Tonight

By Bruce M. Reeves

The Hockey team's third line, too weak to aid the sextet against B.C. last Friday, may provide the margin of victory tonight when the Crimson faces a two-line Boston University squad in the Boston Garden at 9 p.m.

The Terriers, in their three games this season, have only used an average of six forwards and three defense men.

Coach Harry Cleverly of B.U. admitted last night that he would again make no pretense of having a reserve line. Crimson coach Cooney Weiland said that he expected to make full use of this advantage and that all five candidates for the third line would see plenty of action.

Defeats Yale, Princeton

Last Friday the B.C. alternates were used regularly and gradually were down the Crimson starters until the Eagles scored their two winning the goals at the end of the third period.

Cleverly will be depending mostly on the Terriers' ability to "out hustle their opponents as they did against Yale and Princeton." B.U. lost its opener to Brown, 4 to 3, and then defeated Yale, 3 to 2, and Princeton, 4 to 2.

Weiland said he intends to stick with the same lineup he has used in the past two games although he admitted that the team's defense is very weak.

"If the defense men don't shape up tonight I may consider some position shifts during the game although I'm not contemplating any moves now. The trouble is the boys aren't familiar enough with their new positions yet," Weiland said.

At one point in the B.C. game, the varsity coach moved first-line center. Bill Cleary back to defense and placed Frank Mahoney at center. Arty Noyes then replaced Ed Mahoney on the second line.

"We could very well have beaten B.C.," Weiland added. "We had them until those late-period lapses. It's still early in the year, however, and the team will improve greatly."

The Terriers' offense will be centered about first-line wing Joe Quinn, a sophomore, who will play with veterans Jack Murphy and John Brown. B.U.'s defense problem should be solved by its new goalie, John Alken, whom Coach Cleverly calls "one of the best men on the squad." Alken saved 32 shots in the team's opening loss to Brown.

After losing 16 out of 20 matches last season including two defeats by the Crimson, the Terriers future was darkened even more by graduation, which took all of their starting defense men.

Dick Allen, Pete Erie, and Alby Wells are scheduled to start on the Crimson third line, but Welland promises that sophomores tom Worthen and Derek Nicholas, last year's Yardling captain, will be alternated regularly.

Flynn to start at Goal

Charlie Flynn, the team's only defensive star, who had 24 saves against the leagues, will start in the goal with some possibility of sophomore Jim Bizarrely seeing come stein siege, "depending on how the game goes," Wetland said.

"We'll just have to rely on our offense again," the varsity coach added. "We'll be out for as many goals as possible."

Captain Scott college will lead the team from his right wing position, with Joe Csrehore, center, and Frank Mahoney on the other wing of the second line.

Doug Manchester, who began dumping offensive jumps at the blue line last Friday, will be at defense with Poto Summers. Bill Clearly will center the first line with O'Malley and Ned Bliss. Ned Amy and arty Noes are the alternate defense pair