Chinese Student Would Participate In Trade for Eleven U.S. Airmen

A Chinese student, prohibited from returning to his homeland, said last night that he would be willing to participate in a trade for 11 American airmen held by the Chinese communists.

The student, Wei-yuan Huang, a research fellow in chemistry, is one of 35 Chinese refused exit visas by the State Department on the grounds that their technical skills may be useful to the communists. Huang claimed that the information made available to Chinese students was unclassified and of little use to the communists.

Peiping Radio Monday night hinted that the airmen might be exchanged for the student. United Nations observers speculated that such an agreement could be reached.

The Associated Press reported last night that high government officials were seriously considering granting the students exit permits to stifle any possible basis for a bargain.

Lincoln White, a State Department spokesman, yesterday said, "No deal it involved.."

The four students are among several Chinese who sent a letter in August to President Eisenhower urging that they be permitted to return home. All four have been in the U.S. for at least five years.