Track Team to Meet Boston University Tonight in Season's Opener at Briggs

By James W. Singer iii

A young but spirited varsity tract team opens its winter season tonight at 1:45 in Briggs Cage against powerful Boston University. Last year B.U. defeated the Crimson, 61-48.

The B.U. team, which barely missed wining the IC4A championships last year, in favored because of its strength is the field events. In the pole vault the Terrier have two potential 14 ft. performers, versatile Captain Bruce Hescock and returning war veteran Bob Harbosa.

With Hescock in the weight is Nat Baker, who won this event against the varsity last year. He also throws the shot, along with John Bates and San Soon, both of whom average nearly 49 ft.

The Terriers lack depth in the running events, although they do have three outstanding performers: Bull Sheerer, New England dash champion last year; Bill Smith, National AAU champion in the 1000 yard race; and George Terry, current IC4A cross-country champion.

Crimson coach Bill McCurdy considers B.U. the favorite, but said that "we have a very definite chance of winning, for if the Eagles have individual brilliance, we have good depth. Our depth and our ability to take the close events, the shot, weight, and dash could easily determine the meet."

McCurdy is counting heavily on the mile relay team. Dave Alpers and Renny Little, holdovers from last year, will run tonight. Last year's team, whose time of 3:20.6 broke a school indoor record standing since 1920, won the Daniel J. Kelly Trophy for the fastest New England mile relay time.

Captain Bob Rittenburg, last season hampered by a foot injury, has worked out in practice with little trouble, and will probably run with the relay team. One of three sophomores. Dick Wharton, Mike Robertson, or Bob Weil, will be other member of the team.

Perhaps the varsity's strangest event is the hurdles, where the Terriers are the weskits. "Rittenhurg should win the hurdles with comparative case," McCurdy said. Sophomore Joel Cohen and Paul Rosenthal give the Crimson good depth in this event.

In the 600 yard race, both Alpers and Little are given good chances to defeat Smith. Robertson, whom McCurdy considers "a pleasant sophomore surprise," will be the third Crimson entry. Last year's freshman captain, Wharton, will run in the 1000 yard event, and "is capable of an upset."

In the mile, Phil Williams and Bill Morris, two more sophomores, will run, and in the two mile event Dave McLean, Don French, and Paul Beck are expected to press Terry..