Varsity Hockey Six Outskates, Outpasses Awkward Terrier Team to Win, 6 to 2

By Bruce M. Reeves

The varsity hockey team, sparked by center Bill Cleary with a goal and three assists, last night outskated and outpassed an awkward but struggling B.U. team to win, 6 to 2, at the Garden.

The Terriers, depending mainly on hustle to win, faltered after holding the Crimson to a 1 to 1 tie in the first period. The varsity clinched the victory in the second period with two goals and then added three insurance tallies in the final stanza.

The sextet's defensive problem was again solved by the brilliant goaltending of Charlie Flynn, who totaled 36 saves during the game. On one occasion when B.U. made its last bid in the final minutes the veteran goalie saved four shots while lying on his back.

B.U. Scores First

Alternating his third line regularly, Coach Cooney Weiland was able to give his starters sufficient rest and for the first time this season the Crimson's stress on offensive power paid off with winning goals.

The Terriers' only two lines, composed of fast, stick-slapping backcheckers, relied mostly on solo efforts to force the puck into the Crimson zone. Here the varsity's defense again failed and at 14:33 B.U. wing Tom Dwyer passed out to John McComb, unguarded in front of the cage, for the first goal of the game.

The Crimson's offense quickly began to move with the score 1-0 and after continually skating past the entire slipping B.U. team to be stopped by the spectacular saves of goalie John Aiken, Bill Cleary evened the score by batting in a faceoff at 17:11.

weiland started shifting his second and third lines at the beginning of the second period to balance their power and then gradually went back to the original (Continued on page eight)