'56, '57 Elect Six To Council; Mack, Stark, Scher Win

Sophomores and juniors elected six class representatives in Student Council elections yesterday. Three incumbents were among the six successful candidates.

Newell B. Mack of Adams House and Bradley W. Stark of Dunster House, both incumbents, were elected in the junior class election, along with Richards L. Dodds of Kirkland House. Mack is the present Council treasurer, and Stark has represented his class on the Council for two years.

The only incumbent sophomore reelected was Paul L. Scher of Dunster House. Other candidates elected were Edward M. Abramson of Lowell House, and John B. Read, Jr., of Dunster House.

Stark Well Ahead

Joseph D. Murphy '55, a member of the Student Council Elections Committee, said last night, "Startk ran well ahead of the other candidates in the junior class vote. The sophomore vote was pretty well bunched."

Approximately 50 percent of the two classes voted in the election, as 556 sophomores and 554 juniors cast ballots. This was a large drop from the estimated 70 to 80 percent who participated in House electrons last week, but more voted than in last year's class election, when slightly less than half of those eligible voted.

More Vote in House

Murphy said, "There is usually a larger vote in the House elections than there is in the class-wide elections as the voter generally known most of the men running in his House elections, while he may know none at all in the Class elections, and will not bother to vote. The turnout for this election was as good as we expected."

The newly-elected class representatives will take office at the beginning of the spring term, as will the House representatives chosen last week.

The preferential system of voting was used in the election, held yesterday at lunch in Dudley, and at both lunch and dinner in the other seven Houses.