Joy of Giving

". . . Tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and..." Vag slammed down the window, drowning out the soundtrack. He flung himself in a chair. "Everyone gets the idea that Christmas time just means handouts. Well, the first to go is Margaret. There's not going to be any tip this year."

His roomate put down a book. "Aw, Vag, you know what'll happen if ..."

"That's just the point" Vag leaned forward, "Why should we be intimidated?"

"Maybe things would pick up if we ..."

"No, explained Vag. "That's the whole point, its not a gift of good will. It's bribe, and it's one that's extorted."

"You bet it is. She'd come up here with a knife and slash our best clothes if we didn't leave something."

"Exactly! That's why it's going to be different this year. I'm going to be here this vacation..."

"Don't be silly, Vag, you'll be at home."

"Well, no, I won't exactly be going home. The folks are visiting my sister in Oregon."

"Oh...Why not come home with me?"

"No, thanks. I'll stay here, study, and protect the Christmas spirit."

Just then a knock on the door was followed by the entrance of a middle-aged woman in a faded dress. "How are you, boys. I suppose its off for the holidays you'll be soon. I do hope that Santy will be good to you."

"No, Margaret, I'm not going home this Christmas, and as for Santa Claus ..."

"Oh, you poor boy, it's just a shame and a pity to be away from home on Christmas." She took a swipe at the coffee table then flecked an ash from the rug to the floor.

"Oh, that's all right, Margaret, I don't really mind."

"I'll hear nothing but that you have Christmas dinner with me and Mike, it's like a mother I feel to all of my boys."

"Well that's very generous of you, Margaret, but what I wanted to say is . . ."

"I won't hear no for your answer, do you hear me?" She wandered into Vag's room, pulled up the disheveled blankets, then smoothed the rumpled spread over, fluffing up the flat pillow. "We're not supposed to make beds, you know. Now, will you be coming to dinner with us?"

Vag's throat felt hot. "Thank you, but no. I'm going to visit my roommate this Christmas."

As she went out the door, Margaret halted. "Merry Christmas to the both of you." And with a faint smile, Vag began to write a check.