Varsity Track Team Upsets B.U., 57-52, As Terriers Default in Last Two Events

Cohen, Rittenburg Place Three Times

Boston University ran out of rumens last night and forfeited that last two events, giving the varsity track team an upset 57-52 victory, last night.

The Crimson was behind, 52 to 47, with only two events, the mile and two-mile relays, left. The Terriers would have had to run men who and already computed in three events, while Crimson coach Hill McCurdy had a fresh relay team ready to run.

B.U., paced by Hill Smith's probable record-breaking 2:17.5 performance in the 1000 yard run, took eight first places out of 13 events, but the Crimson managed to pile up enough points in the lowers positions to win the meet. The varsity swept the high hurdles and the 600 yard run, and pulled an upset when Goldman won the 35 pound weight throw.

In third place until his last throw, Goldman won the event with the longest heave of his career to upset Nat Baker of B.U., who had beaten him in last year's meet. "It was one of the most thrilling comebacks I have over seen," said coach Bill McCuday. "A performance like that indicates a real competitor."

Smith, the National A.A.U. champion in the 1000 yard run, was the outstanding individual performer for the Terriers, with two firsts, winning his specialty easily. Crimson sophomore Dick Whatnot finished second, a quarter-lap behind. Smith's time is probably a track record, and is definitely faster than any other recorded times. Sophomore Dick Wharton turned in a creditable performance in pushing Smith to the record. Smith also took first place in the mile.

High point man for the Crimson were Joel Cohen and Captain Bob Rittenburg, both of whom placed in three events. Cohen took a first in the high hurdles, a second in the dash, and a third in the broad jump, while Rittenburg took seconds in the high hurdles, broad jump, and high jump.

Cohen turned in an excellent performance in the 40 yard dash. B.U., paced by Bill Shearer, last year's New England dash champion, was given an excellent chance to sweep this event. When Norm Bruck, Harvard's best sprinter, slipped at the starting block a B.U. sweep seemed inevitable, but Cohen took second place to save the meet, according to McCurdy, "the turning point of the meet."

B. U. failed to enter a man in the 40 yard high hurdles, giving the Crimson a sweep. Cohen edged out Rittenburg to win in 5.4 seconds, with Paul Rosenthal taking third.

The outstanding performers for B.U., beside Smith, were Captain Bruce Hescock and George Terry. Hescock won the pole vault and the high jump at 6-3, barely missing a near record attempt at 6-7. The college record for the high jump is 6-3 2/3.

Terry, the current 1C4A cross-country champion, won the two mile race and finished second to Smith in the mile.

The Crimson scored a surprise sweep in the 600-yard run. B.U. was expected to win this event, but Dave Alpers, Renny Little, and Mike Robertson shut out the Terriers. Art Siler took a second place in the shot put with a toss of 46 feet 8 1/4 inches.

The varsity's next meet is Jan. 8 against Brown, here.