Woodruff Demands Student Action Against Voter Apathy to Politics

A student cannot divorce himself from politics merely because be live in an academic atmosphere. Allon M. Woodruff said last night in urging college students to take an active part in politics. Woodruff spoke before a meeting of the local Citizenship Clearing House at the signet Society last night.

The Citizenship Clearning House a national organization sponsored by New York University and paid for a by Judge Arthur T. Vanderbilt, Chief Justice of the New Jersey Supreme Court, attempts to interest college students in politics.

Woodruff's talk was the ninth in a series which began last spring. The meetings are supposed to be an opportunity for University students to meet informally men actually engaged in political action.

Political Watchdog

Woodruff is a Yale graduate and a member of the Committee of Seventy, a non-partisan group in Philadelphia which acts as a political watchdog over local politicians and tries to ensure honest elections.

He compared American student apathy with the political activity of foreign students. "The further East you go around the world," he said, "The more you find that the universities are an important political force," Woodruff said.

Woodruff described his work in Philadelphia and the corruption he had encountered. "We must figure out a way to curb the tremendous voter apathy. A large part of our work is to educate the voter and make him care about his government."

He went on to explain what an educated man could do about his local government.

He suggested that that students should reed their local newspapers and become as quainter with the political situation "We must broaden the base of political interest," he said, "and we must do something about machine monopoly, which threatens civic liberty."