Fifty Percent Of '52 Attend Grad Schools

Placement Poll Finds Need For Professional Training

One half of the College's students will continue their educations in Graduate Schools, according to a survey published yesterday by the Office of Student Placement.

The survey, using the Class of 1952 as a typical sampling of graduates, revealed that 66 percent of the men who go on to further study attend one of three professional schools medicine, law, and business. The fields of the rest of the class ranged from American history to zoology.

"An increasingly complex society has made it necessary that professional men now have graduate degrees, whereas 25 years ago an A.B. was sufficient," Louis L. Newby, Director of the Student Placement Office and co-author of the study, said yesterday.

Business Restrictions

"Problems of business administration and tighter restrictions of the practice of law and medicine have made it almost mandatory that successful professional men have graduate degrees," Newby said.

Eighty-nine percent of the men going on to business school stay at Harvard, while the law and medical schools draw 09 and 35 percent respectively.

Newby attributed the graduate schools' popularity among alumni to the University's academic excellence. "In the minds of the students our three main professional schools have a position of unmatched distinction," Newby said.

Newby observed that on the basis of the questionnaire sent to the Class of 1952, successful applicants to graduate schools come from a wide variety of undergraduate fields of concentration. Law and business schools accepted qualified men with either physical or social science backgrounds, the survey showed. Medical schools had equally broad standards, although applicants have to fulfill certain basic scientific requirements.