Student Placement Office Expands Scholarship Information Program

Graduate scholarships and followships are now the new emphasis at the Office of Student Placement, Director Louis A. Newby said last night.

Since its foundation in 1946, the Office has expanded beyond its primary task of placing graduating seniors in jobs. It now offers information on over 150 grants for graduate study in the United States and abroad to meet growing college demands for graduate school financial aid.

Newby urged students to contact the Office immediately if they wish to participate in any of the graduate programs he has information on.

Nearly 35 percent of last year's senior class registered with the Placement Office for individual counseling on jobs and scholarships. Newby expects that approximately 40 percent of this year's graduating class will seek similar interviews.

"The increase in interest is encouraging, but we want still more undergraduates to make use of our facilities, and I am, at present, giving talks in the Houses to explain our programs," he stated.

Newby also said that students facing military service should check with the Placement Office on the various reserve and National Guard opportunities open to them.

The Office handles scholarships given by large social work foundations, including Rotary and Kiwanis International. They also provide interviews with representatives of companies which have their own post-college training programs, in-Corporation.

Each year, as part of its program, the Office sponsors a series of career conferences, with speakers from the University and the outside business world.