House-Centered Weekend Will Replace Key Formal

A weekend under the sponsorship of the various House Committees will probably succeed the defunct Crimson Key All-College Weekend next spring.

Separate Saturday night functions in each House are almost certain to replace the All-College Formal, held for the past few years in the I.A.B. Otherwise the weekend is expected to be largely the same as in previous years.

An informal vote of the Interhouse Dance Committee several weeks ago showed six House Dance Committee chairmen in favor of "some sort of spring weekend." Only two, Johnson C. Montgomery '55 of Eliot House and Gerald A. Lewis '55 of Dunster House were opposed.

Since then, both Dunster and Eliot have indicated that they may accept the plan. The Eliot House Committee voted Tuesday to agree to "any feasible plan for a spring weekend offered by the Interhouse Dance Committee." Lewis said that he is "undecided one way or the other."

Carl A. Goldman '55, Winthrop House Dance Chairman and head of the Interhouse Dance Committee, said that his group would not vote officially on the weekend until the individual House Committees take a definite stand. "After all, the Dance Committee can't run a weekend unless the House Committees want it," he said.

House Chairmen Meeting

Arnold C. Greenberg '55, chairman of the Kirkland House Committee, said that he was attempting to organize a meeting of the eight House Committee chairmen. "The possibilities of a spring weekend will certainly be discussed at this meeting, though this will not be its sole purpose," he said.

William D. Coakley '55, president of the Crimson Key Society, which lost $400 on the All-College Weekend last year and decided to drop its sponsorship of the affairs, said that he group will aid a spring weekend "in any way possible, except financially," but will not undertake to organize a weekend. Coakley plans to send a letter soon to each House Committee chairman and to Goldman to clarify the Key's position. "It appears that the type of weekend the College wants may evolve more successfully on a House level than on an all-College level," he added.