Pusey Lauds Radcliffe's Progress Before 75th Anniversary Meeting

By Carlota G. Shipman

University officials joined Radcliffe deans and alumnae yesterday in ceremonies honoring the college's 75th anniversary.

The Annex, which does not give honorary degrees, cited seven distinguished alumnae for outstanding contributions and heard short addresses from Harvard President Nathan M. Pusey, Ada C. Notestein, President Emerita of Radcliffe, and two of the citation recipients.

Pusey paid tribute to Radcliffe's achievement in the field of women's education, and offered "official recognition of what those on the other side of the Yard have wrought without excessive help from us on this side.

"Seventy-five years ago, Radcliffe was the Annex, and now we are beginning to wonder who has been annexed," he said.

"The most important feature of a liberal arts education is its ability to develop the fundamental factor of interest," Mrs. Doris Z. Stone '30, noted archaeologist, said in her response to the citation presentation.

"With the exception of geniuses, it is only through a general background that it is possible to develop the emotional stimulation known as interest which in itself broadens out to the narrower exercise of a definite achievement," Mrs. Stone said. In Latin America, with which she has been especially concerned in her work, the liberal arts are often sacrificed to purely technical training, she noted.

Martha M. Eliot '13, chief of the United States Children's Bureau, underlined the value of liberal arts training for governmental and administrative work. "It helps develop the understanding of human relations so necessary for public servants," she said.

Miss Eliot was also among the recipients of a citation.