Three Sports Added to Ivy League Play

New Leagues Set Up for Hockey, Soccer, Basketball

The Ivy Group athletic directors yesterday officially created Ivy Leagues in hockey, basketball, and soccer. They also dissolved the present intercollegiate soccer league which has not held championships since 1951.

Meeting in New York, the eight sports heads created the new leagues by changing the names of the Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League and Pentagonal Hockey League to Ivy. This is the directors' first move toward extending round-robin competition within the Ivy Group to sports other than football.

By the end of the week-long session they expect to form leagues in cross country, fencing, lacrosse, squash, wrestling, and golf.

Kenneth R. Fairman, Athletic Director at Princeton, has already recommended an across-the-heard system of round-robin competition in these sports.

Simultaneous with the Ivy Leagues the Eastern Association of Rowing Colleges vetoed the recommendation of its crew coaches that the 1955 Eastern Sprint Championships be moved from Washington to Princeton. The coaches feel the present Potomac River site offers inadequate facilities. They frequently have criticized the regatta as inconvenient and poorly-managed.

The E.A.R.C. also voted to hold the 150-pound regatta on the Charles River, on May 14. Last year the lightweights raced on Lake Carnegie.