CLARIFYING ABSTENTION

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I would like to comment on an article which appeared in the Harvard CRIMSON, page one, on Saturday, December 4, 1954. The article, headed "House-Centered Weekend Will Replace Key Formal," contains, either through negligence or misinformation, two inaccuracies which I feel should be corrected.

First, the headline and several of the statements within the article are misleading, and are in no sense supported by the facts. The article begins by stating that "A weekend under the sponsorship of the various House Committees will probably succeed the defunct Crimson Key All-College Weekend," and continues with the assertion that "Separate Saturday night functions in each House are almost certain to replace the All-College Formal. . . ." These assumptions, however, have no foundation. Despite the "informal vote" which seemed to favor "some sort of spring weekend," Interhouse Dance Committee Chairman Carl Goldman has rightly stated that "the Dance Committee can't run a weekend unless the House Committees want it . . ." And, there has as yet been no indication as to the stand of the House Committees.

Secondly, the statement in this article that I opposed the idea of a House-centered weekend is completely in error. I did, in fact, abstain from any vote which may have been taken in regard to the proposed weekend. It would seem that the distinction between abstention and opposition need not be clarified. Gerald A. Lewis,   Chairman Dunster House Dance Committee