'Cliffe Group Now Studying Honor System

By Carlota G. Shipman

The fate of the Radcliffe honor system is now in the hands of a committee composed of three Radcliffe students and two faculty members, appointed by President Wilbur K. Jordan early this fall.

"If the committee recommends that the honor system be abolished, that recommendation will be followed by the Administration," President Jordan said yesterday. Nancy Fisher '54, Lois Dickson '54, Phyllis La Fargo '55, Miss Emily B. Lacoy, dean of residence, and Mrs. Kathleen O. Elliott, assistant dean of Instruction, are the committee members.

Honor System Shaky

"I don't think anyone wants to see the honor system go, under any circumstances," Miss Fisher commented. "It is shaky at the moment, and the committee is trying to give it a firmer basis."

Jordan originally set up the committee to review the entire honor system. The group has since divided the subject into three main parts, academic, library, and social. "Recommendations will probably be made by area, suggesting modifications within each one," Miss La Farge said last night.

The main problem before the group will be to make the honor system function, particularly in the field of reporting offenses, the three student committee members agreed. "We must combine ideals and utility," Miss Dickson said.

Evaluation of the library honor system has now been completed. The committee hopes to report by the end of the year, when the administration will consider its recommendations.

Committee members are currently sampling student opinion on the honor system, but its meetings are closed. "Now that we are fully aware that the committee's findings will be considered final, we will make an even greater effort to act as responsible representatives of the student body and the administration," Miss Dickson said.