G. W. Woodworth Will Give Music 1; Succeeds Davison

G. Wallace Woodworth '24,professor of Musci, will replace Archibald T. Davison '06, James Edward Ditson Professor of Music, as lecturer in Music 1 next fall. Davison will retire this June after 45 years of instructing at Harvard.

Davison began Music 1, and historical survey course, in 1936 and has taught it continuously except for one year in 1942. The course has an average enrollment of 400 and is the largest in the Music department.

Wordsworth had previously replaced Davison in 1934 as University organist and Glee Club conductor.

A former pupil of Davison, Woodworth has said that he first got his interest in music from his instructor. "It was the powerful magnetism of Dr. Davison which attracted me towards music all through my undergraduate years," Woodworth commented. He became Choral Instructor at Radcliffe immediately after his graduation in 1924.

A Logical Choice

Professor Randall Thompson said yesterday he was glad Woodworth had agreed to take over the course. He called the choral instructor the logical successor to Davison. Thompson felt that although the new lecturer would probably change the course externally, he would retain its basic aims.

Woodworth felt that the section meetings and listening assignments, which from a large part of the course, would be continued.

Davison received his A.B. here in 1906, his M.A. in 1907, and his Ph.D. in 1908. He was appointed as an Austin Teaching Fellow in 1909 and became a full professor in 1929.