Hockey Team Faces Boston College In Final Non-League Game Tonight

Ranked fourth in the East, the varsity hockey team meets top-ranked Boston College for the third time at 9 p.m. tonight in what should be one of the closest contests viewed in Boston Garden this year. Northeastern and Boston University clash in the 7 p.m. preliminary.

While the varsity rested Saturday, the Yardling sextet journeyed to Exeter to suffer its first setback in six starts, 4 to 2.

Twice this season Snooks Kelley's Eagles have narrowly topped the Crimson. But that was before B.C. lost high-scoring left wing Jim Duffy and before the varsity gained last year's high scoring freshman Billy Cleary. These two personnel changes should close the gap between the clubs.

Mrkonich Returns to Action

With Cleary at first line center and Captain Normie Wood and Dick Clasby on the wings, Weiland will have the same revised lineup he has used in his last two victorious league contests. Doug Manchester, who is currently second in points in the Pentagonal League, again centers the second line, flanked by Joe Crehore and Scott Cooledge. Jeb Bray, Frank Mahoney, and Ned Bliss give Weiland the only strong third line in the East.

Back on defense will be the veteran twosome of Jeff Coolidge and Ed Mrkonich. Relieving them will be Tony Patton, Ned Almy, and Jim Moynihan, all letter men. Sophomore Charlie Flynn will tend the goal.

The B.C. contest is the only non-league game remaining on the Crimson schedule, and as such is more dispensable than the seven league tilts. Seven straight Pentagonal wins, however, will never send the hockey team back out West, but couple those seven with a decisive victory tonight and Weiland's sextet will certainly deserve top consideration by the NCAA selection committee.

Chance to Move Up

Currently, B.C. and St. Lawrence are tied for first, with R.P.I. third. The varsity plays neither St. Lawrence nor R.P.I., so this is its last crack at the top.

According to manager Danny Weiss, tickets are available at the ticket office, 6 Quincy St., for $1.20 and $.90 with a bursar's card.