Track Team Tops Dartmouth Squad In 76-30 Triumph

Capturing all but two events, the varsity track team crushed a weak Dartmouth squad, 76 to 30, at Hanover Saturday. The Crimson freshmen took every first place in their meet, winning 82 to 27.

Coach Bill McCurdy, in his team's last dual meet of the season, got an unexpected record-breaking performance from an unheralded senior, Hubie Maguire.

Maguire, outstanding as a freshman three years ago, broke the Dartmouth indoor record for the two mile run, defeating teammate Hal Gerry at the finish. Maguire's time of 9:51 surpassed the 9:51.3 mark set by Boston University's John Kelley last year.

Richards and Alpers, the team's top middle distance runners, both breezed to victory in unexceptional times. Alper's 1:13.8 in the 600 was the more creditable of the two. Richards took the 1000 in 2:20.6.

Rosenthal Scores First Win.

Replacing the injured Bob Rittenburg, Rosenthal won his first hurdles race, covering the 45 yards in 6.1 seconds. The varsity swept all three places in the 50-yard dash as Dow led Charlie Arena and Herb Collins across the line in 5-8 seconds.

The Crimson won all the field events. Siler took the shotput, Goldman the weight throw, and Collins the broad jump. Bob Blake and Brian Reynolds tied for first in the high jump.

The mile relay quarter of Richards, Renny Little, Alan Howe, and Alpers won with a fair 3:26.6. The victorious two mile team was made up of Phil Myers, Cal Perkins, Don French, and Frank Nahigian.

Joel Cohen led the freshmen with victories in the dash, hurdles, and broad jump.