Claverly Will Again Get Yardling Cross-Section

Council Will Discuss Breakfast Sign Off

Claverly Hall will once again contain a cross-section of the sophomore class next year, Associate Dean Watson announced yesterday.

Once a dumping ground for probationary sophomores, Claverly's composition changed this year when each House was given a section comprising a representative part of the class as selected by the Housemasters.

Watson last night called the change "highly successful in removing the old time stigma from Claverly."

"As a result, the whole outlook towards Cleverly has changed completely," he added.

Tonight, the Student Council will vote on a report which, if taken up by College authorities, will allow Claverly men to sign off breakfast at their Houses. The report also favors restoration of the dorm's parietal honor system, discontinued this year.

In addition to proposed changes, the report will support the continued placing of "high calibre freshmen" in Claverly, and oppose any change that would add Claverly to any House or make it more of a unified social unit.

Distance Is Problem

Robert A. G. Monks '54 and Wendell Davies '54 headed the Council committee which presented a preliminary report in December. At that time Monks conducted a poll of Claverly men which showed that although most of its residents realized the necessity of having a place for the House overflow, living there inconvenienced them.

Inconvenience seemed to be a matter of distance, Monks said, Dunster and Eliot men disliking the system far more than Adams men.

"Those from more distant Houses said they regularly skipped breakfast," Monks said. "The option of eating breakfast out will remove one of the chief sources of discontent."

Restoration of the parietal honor system is another committee recommendation. Said Monks. "Although some abuse of an honor system is inevitable, it is preferable to present supervision, which exceeds that of any of the Houses."