Five Drops Sixth In Row to Lions After Tiger Loss

Weekend losses to Princeton and Columbia extended the varsity basketball team's losing streak to six and shoved the slumping Crimson deeper into seventh place in the E.I.B.L.

Coach Norm Shepard's five tripped at Princeton, 59 to 56, Saturday and then collapsed completely before Columbia, 69 to 51, in New York last night. Meanwhile, center Bob Canty scored 20 points to lead the undefeated Yardling basketball team to its 12th win, 59 to 37, at Andover Saturday afternoon.

Only a cold first half kept the varsity from its third straight upset over the Tigers. The home team moved to a 32-21 lead at the half, but Ed Blodnick, hitting on eight of nine shots in the third quarter, pushed the Crimson out in front, 44 to 43, going into the final period.

Four minutes later, the big center, who led both teams in scoring with 20 points, fouled out of the game on a controversial charging penalty, and the varsity never regained the lead. The Tigers then staved off a final Crimson bid with three minutes left and coasted from a 55 to 54 margin to the victory.

Blodnick replaced the slumping Harry Sacks in the starting lineup for the Columbia game, but nobody was much help against the Lions. Once again the rival coach sprung a zone defense to shackle the Crimson attack. But in this contest there was no third period recovery.

The varsity, in its coldest night to date made but nine of 51 attempts from the field for a miserable 17.6 percent. It failed to make a single field goal from the eighth minute of the first period to the second minute of the third. Scoring only free throws in the second quarter, the visitors fell behind, 30 to 18, at the half.