NORW ALK: CURE OR SYMPTOM

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Your very enthusiasm for successful battle against the V.F.W. in Norwalk, Conn. seems to have a somewhat hollow ring. You should not have to write an editorial proclaiming the victory if you did not, all-be-it so slightly, doubt the outcome. . . .Nor should one assume that Norwalk is the only city or that the "subversive" reporting program of the V.F.W. is the only method or even the only organization tending to stifle controversial opinions today. . . . There have been other flagrant violations--to note, the very recent difficulty of an independent organization here in this state to find a place to meet in order to raise money for a tottering newspaper. The American Legion had some part in this. When this organization found a meeting place, phone calls and city and state inspecting committees suddenly appeared in an attempt to condemn the auditorium. Although procedures used to prevent the meeting from taking place were entirely lawful in regard to the letter, the spirit of the law certainly showed signs of dry-rot. This and many other incidents demonstrate that our traditional liberties are in grave danger. . . . Alan F. Sawyer 1D