Bentinck-Smith Named Pusey's Assistant

William Bentinck-Smith '37 was appointed yesterday as an Assistant to the President of the University.

Editor of the Alumni Bulletin for the past eight years, Bentinck-Smith will handle general administrative affairs and conduct special research for the President. James R. Reynolds '23, who also holds the title of Assistant to the President, will continue in charge of University development plans.

Joseph R. Hamlen '04, President and Publisher of the Alumni Bulletin, has named Norman A. Hall '22 to succeed Bentinck-Smith as editorial director of the Bulletin.

Hall to Be New Managing Editor

Last fall, Bentinck-Smith edited "The Harvard Book," a collection of writings by alumni about the University. In 1948, two years after he became Editor of the Bulletin, the bi-weekly magazine won the Robert Sibley Award of the American Alumni Council for the best alumni publication.

A graduate of Columbia School of Journalism, Bentinck-Smith has worked as a reporter for the Boston Globe and in an editorial capacity in the Office of Naval Operations in Washington. In 1945 and 1946 he was promotion manager of the University Press.

Hall, who will receive the title of Managing Editor of the Bulletin, has been the proprietor of his own book store in Newton Centre since 1926 and has served as Circulation Manager for the magazine since 1942. He is a member of the Harvard Fund Council and acts as Class Agent for the Harvard Fund.

Editor of his class college newspaper, Hall was associated with the University Press from 1945 to 1947. He is now vice-president of the New England Chapter of the Antiquarian Booksellers' Association.