Squash Team to Play Powerful Army Squad After 6 Wins in Row

By Daniel A. Rezneck

The proverbial early season honeymoon finally ends for Jack Barnaby's undefeated squash team this weekend.

With six scalps dangling from its belt, the Crimson heads into the heart of its quest for an unbeaten season, and the first hurdle in the way of another possible national championship may very well prove to be the toughest. This Saturday afternoon the varsity travels to West Point to take on a powerful Army team.

In pre-season prognostications, Coach Barnaby had rated Army, Navy, and Princeton as the chief obstacles in the path of the Crimson's bid for a second straight national title. The Crimson already owns a victory over the Midshipmen in its season's opener, thus dispelling the Navy threat.

Army, Princeton Tough

But both Army and Princeton have fully justified Barnaby's pre-season fears and both teams are pointing for the Crimson. On the basis of matches thus far, there seems little to choose between them. Army scraped out a 5 to 4 win over the Tigers in a recent meeting but it took a last-ditch, five-game victory by the Cadet's number five man to clinch the match.

In addition to Princeton and Army, the Crimson faces trouble from a somewhat more unexpected source. Yale, rated only average at the season's start, has come up with a strong, well-balanced team. On a good day the Bulldogs may be capable of upsetting any of the top contenders, and Yale would relish one of its rare wins over the Crimson.

Despite these possible danger-signs on the horizon, the Crimson has good reason for confidence. Barnaby has developed a far more potent team than most observers had dared hope after the loss through graduation of much of last year's line-up. No individual player has emerged to fill the starring role of National Intercollegiate champion Charlie Ufford, but both number one man Haddon Tomes and number two Larry Brownell have been more than adequate.