Track Team Sets Mile Relay Mark

By Robert L. Saxe

The Crimson's inspired performance against Yale and Princeton last Saturday at the Boston Athletic Association track meet offers promise of better thing to come, if a record-breaking 3:20.5 timing in the mile relay is any indication.

Despite the absence of Bob Rittenburg, whose leg injury has indefinitely sidelined him, the Crimson has shown great strength all season in the running events.

To date the varsity has had only one official meet, a 60-49 loss to Boston University early in the season. But looking at its recent wins at the Knights of Columbus and the B.A.A. meets, the Crimson seems to be coming on and will have the chance to prove it this Saturday against Brown.

Weak In Field Events

Sharpest thorn in the varsity's side this year has been its lack of strength in the field events: broad jump, high jump, and 35-pound weight. B.U. capitalized on its depth in this department, and Brown figures ot do well in the field events also.

Key meet on the varsity's schedule is its encounter at Yale Feb. 22. The Ellis, who have no official record thus far, seem strong in almost every department and will certainly be no soft touch.

Strong men for the varsity this season have been Dave Alpers in the mile and 440, Hal Gerry in the 2-mile, and Norm Bruck in the dash. Bob Rittenburg, the former varsity workhorse, may possibly be back later in the season.

The mile relay team, whose 3:20.5 performance set the all-time Harvard record for the indoor mile, now appears to be set in its winning ways. Captain Jack Richards, Warren Little, Alan Howe, and Dave Alpers have thus far been the winning combination.