Unbeaten Yarsity Swimmers Meet EIST Opponents

With three wins and no losses, the varsity swimming team enters the spring term holding title to a perfect record and last place in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League.

Whether this paradoxical situation is due only to scheduling non-League opponents at the start of the season and whether Hal Ulen's squad can produce against its blue-chip opponents will be determined on every weekend between this one and March 12. The varsity faces all seven of its League competitors, and only its League competitors, until it enters the Eastern NCAA tournaments at the end of the season.

Army Next Opponent

Because of a lack of comparative scores, it's still too early to toll how the Crimson ought to do, but a common opponent is forthcoming, and it will then be obvious what the varsity must do. Yale had its fist eastern Intercollegiate meet last Saturday and swamped Army, 67 to 13. The Crimson faces Army this weekend. And it hopes to end Yale's unbeaten string of 100-odd meets at the end of the season.

But if the varsity is to end the Bulldog's rule of the pool, it must first dispense with the government at West Point and at Annapolis in the next two weeks, These two squads plus Dartmouth are the toughest competition for the Crimson before Yale.

Although they may not be much more powerful than Springfield, which Harvard beat, 50 to 34, in the season's opener, these three future opponents will certainly give Ulen's team a closer meet than it got in its other two outings. Brown succumbed, 70 to 14, after which M.I.T. lost, 71 to 13.

Not Pushed Yet

Without a really tough foe to date one might expect that the varsity has not been pushed to its fastest potential times as yet. Sophomore Dave Hawkins, nevertheless, has already broken three Harvard records--the 15-yard medley, the 220-yard free style, and the 200-yard breaststroke.

Also performing as expected has been All-American backstroker Don Mulvey, vhile Eric Ueland has been developing fast to give depth in that event. In the breaststroke--another deep event for the varsity--Dick Stenson and Ralph Zani back up Hawkins.