U. N. Council Selects Bunche To Address Mock Assembly

Hub Students Meet For All-Day Sessions

Doctor Ralph J. Bunche, Nobel Peace Prize winner, will deliver the keynote address at the United Nations Council-sponsored High School Conference on the U.N., which will be held at Sanders Theatre, March 27.

Duncan H. Cameron '56, president of the Council, refused to speculate on Bunche's topic, farther than to say that it would be on some phase of the U.N.

He explained that the Council had chosen Bunches as its speaker because he is an authority on the U.N., whose primary concern is the education of youth about the U.N.

Representatives of all Greater Boston high schools will take part in the conference, modeled after a U.N. session, with meetings in committee in the morning and a "general assembly" meeting in the afternoon. Bunche will deliver the key note at the afternoon session.

U.N. Mediator in Near East

He is most widely known as the U.N. mediator whose proposal on partition of Palestine helped to ease tension between the Arabs and Jews. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1950 for his work.

Although given a professorship in Government at the University in 1949, he never took his chair. He received his A.M. at the University in 1928, and his Ph.D. here in 1934. Following this, he served on the faculties of Howard University, the University of California, and swarthmore. He is presently a member of the board of trustees of Oberlin College.

Trusteeship Director

At the U.N., Bunche is at present the top-ranking director of the Department of Trusteeship, a post which he has held since 1948. He has been associated with the U.N. since the Dumbarton Oaks Conference in 1945, which he attended as a member of the United States delegation.

He has also been associate chief of the division of dependent area affairs of the State Department since 1945.