Want a Course?

The Classgoer: II

As the semi-annual dilemma of the study-card approaches, many begin to realize the wealth of "forth course" material available in the University. The supply extends from the most practical course to those "useless but nice to know." The CRIMSON suggests the following, meeting on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 10: Professor Merle Fainsod will lecture on dictatorship in relation to the government 115. Although this course will touch briefly on the history of dictatorship itself, the emphasis will be on the Bolshevik Revolution. The course meets in Emerson D.

At the same time, University of Michigan professor Charles L. Stevenson's course on Ethics will meet in Emerson F. Philosophy 168 is not aimed at a study of ethical theories as such, but rather at a study of current efforts to understand exactly what ethical judgments mean, and how these judgments can be defended.

One of the most popular sectionmen in Soc. Sci. 2 last year, Dr. Guyt Panker, will start social Sciences 131, "The Western Influences in Underdeveloped Countries," in Emerson A. This course will aim at understanding regularities in relation to change-politically, economically, and socio-culturally-due to western influence. Problems and tensions in Mexico, Rumania, Indonesia, and Nigeria will be considered primarily.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 11: Professor William Irvine, from Stanford University, will open "Modern English and American drama." Course members will study drama since Ibsen with particular emphasis on Shaw.

The problems of conservation of our national resources will face men in Arthur mass' course, Government 157. United states natural resources will be studied in relation to the problems which the government faces in planing for the development of water power, atomic power, forestry, and other critical resources. It meets in Burr A.

In social relations 144, Professors James Duesenberry and Francis Sutton will attempt an integration of economic and sociological theory. They will discuss the consumer's behavior in relation to the structure o the firm and industrialization. The course begins in Sever 6 this morning.

Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 12: Raymond Dennett's course, government 187, meeting at Harvard 1, may be a good choice, he replaces Professor Bruce Hopper in "Europe in World Polities." Europe's governmental system, past and present will be analyzed. Hopper will discuss the aftermaths of Europe's wars and the present plans and hopes for Federation.